JONATHAN SCARFE and SUKI KAISER
TV acting is actually a pretty good "jumping off" place for any number of second careers. Which is a good thing, because, unless you're as sparkly as George Clooney or you were slightly-less sparkly, but deeply lucky and managed to land the voice-over gig of being Homer Simpson for three million episodes... every TV actor will eventually have "second career" thoughts .
Fortunately, for Jon and Suki, the TV Actor is uniquely prepared to forge a future career in almost anything...they are professionally trained to make shit up. The Actor credo is; "Drive it, like you own it" -even when you don't have a clue what you're doing, which , if you ask any Skipper, is also the very essence of Boating.
There are other similarities, between being a second rate TV actor and a good Captain;
- They are on call 24/7... Ready at a moments notice, to play whatever role is required- weatherperson, engineer, mechanic, scientist, wizard, doctor, nurse, cook...
- They never call in sick-the show ALWAYS goes on.
- Each knows everything there is to know, about maintenance (it's just a small matter of switching from "pumping Iron" to "fixing pumps").
- The majority of them can tell a pretty good joke...
- And finally, beyond almost any one thing, TV actors and Cruisers will bear the burden of living a life of dire uncertainty... in order to achieve that paradise, which is living a life where you don't actually have to go into an office everyday... or punch a time clock... and you get to wear bare feet most of the time.
So, as you can see, Jon and Suki were naturals.
The rest they learned from books...
and buying an older boat that needed everything fixed.
and fixing it all themselves,
and the endless supply of pity and love and help and support and teasing and spare-parts that they received from their fellow cruisers.
Jon and Suki have a new motto now;
"If WE can do this, ANYONE can".
KAI and HUNTER